one small onion, peeled
550ml full fat milk
three whole cloves
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
60g unsalted butter
a pinch of Colmans English
salt and pepper
freshly grated nutmeg
1. Cook the chopped onion in a small amount of butter, the onion should not colour, but should soften.
2. Add the bayleaf, milk and cloves, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and allow the flavours to infuse for a further 10 minutes.
4. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and bring the milk back to the boil, adding as much of the breadcrumbs as needed for your preferred thickness of sauce.
5. Whisk well, add a small piece of soft butter and season with the mustard powder, salt and pepper and nutmeg.