Ingredients (serves six)
For the stuffing:
2 oranges, peeled and chopped
110g/4oz fresh breadcrumbs
50g/2oz chestnuts, chopped
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper
1 young Canada goose 2.5-3.5kg/6-8lb, oven-ready
150ml/1/4pt orange juice
Bunch of sage
1. Combine the stuffing ingredients and place in the goose body cavity. Truss the bird, spread the butter over the breast and legs and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Place the bird in a roasting tin and cook at 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4, allowing 20 minutes per 500g.
3. Brush the breast and legs with the honey and cook for a further 15 minutes. Transfer the goose to a serving dish and keep warm.
4. Add the stock and orange juice to the pan, bring to the boil and season to taste.
5. Decorate with the sage and orange rings, and serve with the usual Christmas treats.