Carpaccio is a dish of raw meat , thinly sliced and served mainly as an appetiser. Here's a recipe to ring the changes with venison. It's very easy to follow too.
- 1kg venison loin
- Maldon sea salt
- 1tbs crushed juniper berries
- 1tbs cracked black pepper
- 3tbs Dijon mustard
- 1tbs English mustard powder
- 1tbs celery salt
- 2tbs smoked paprika
- Remove the silver skin from the venison loin and trim it into an even shaped barrel. Season well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, and then smear the loin with the mustard.
- Roll the loin into all the dry ingredients making sure it is well covered.
- Wrap the venison in cling film and refrigerate until cold.
- When cool transfer the venison to the freezer for at least 4 hours to set.
- Once set, use a sharp knife to slice the venison into 2-3mm thick slices.
- Place the slices of meat onto silicon paper side by side, then fold the silicon on top and roll the meat as thin as possible with a rolling pin.
- Put in fridge until required, and keep a chilled plate refrigerated until needed.
Thanks to David Gillott of Four Gables Events for sharing this recipe for venison carpaccio with us.