GEORGE WALLACE says: It is true but, in England and Wales, only on the actual land where the damage is occurring (not in adjoining woodland etc) and then only by an authorised person, who must be able to show:
That deer of the same species are causing the damage.
That it is likely further damage will occur and that it will become serious.
That shooting is necessary to prevent it (after other, non-lethal, methods have been tried first, and failed).

We then come to the bit about the shooting being carried out only by an authorised person. An authorised person is someone who is:
The occupier of the land on which the action is taken.
A member of the occupier’s household resident on the land and authorised in writing by the occupier.
An employee authorised in writing by the occupier.
Any person having the right to take or kill deer on the land (perhaps the stalking tenant) or anyone authorised by him in writing.

There is also a problem with disposing of venison shot out of season because it may only be sold by a licensed game dealer. Hopefully the proposed changes to the legislation will sort this out in the near future.

Things are different in Scotland, so if your problem lies in the land of my fore-fathers, check the rules first.

Got a question? Contact: or Sporting Gun, PO Box 157, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 9FU