I’m told I may get in trouble if I don’t get a special licence to buy the necessary powder.

How difficult is it to apply for this, and what sort of storage facilities will I need to install?

David Frost
If you’re going to use black powder you will most definitely need to get a licence from your local police!

These are the same folk that handle your certificate application.

You have to show good reason, but possession of a gun proofed only for black powder will be sufficient.

Above: Typical black powder cartridge production kit.

There’s a limit to the quantity of explosives you can store on any premises and in most cases it will be 10kg for black powder.

There’s a detailed guide at www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/index.htm