The grouse season is now in full swing. Here's a different way of cooking with the birds with a deliciously simple recipe for roast grouse risotto from Lee Maycock. Serves four.
Recipe for roast grouse risotto
- 4 prepared grouse
- 50g diced onion
- 100g pearled spelt
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 20g chopped fresh garden herbs
- Cornish sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Turn the oven on to 200ºC.
- Season and sear the grouse in a hot pan and cook for a few minutes each side.
- Roast in a hot oven (200ºC) for 10 minutes.
- Set aside and rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile sauté the onion in a little oil and add the spelt, adding the stock until cooked.
- Season well and fold through the chopped herbs.
- Remove the breast from the grouse and serve on top of the spelt herb risotto.
Gooseberries give grouse a tasty twist in this sweet and savoury dish
Ingredients: 6 Grouse breasts, preferably off old birds Extra virgin olive oil 150g Crème fraîche Juice of 1 lime Sea…