If you own a gun, you're going to need a robust and lockable gun cabinet. We've been looking around and here are 7 which have caught our eye - some are decorative and will blend in amongst your furniture, others use biometric technology (so you can use your fingerprint to open them) and others are fireproof. All prices correct at time of writing.
1.Handmade wooden gun cabinet
Gamekeeping student-turned furniture designer Zak Case can construct a gun cabinet for customers with a bespoke design to specific measurements. Made from locally sourced Scottish hardwoods, it will meet all security and British Standard requirements. Price to order from Crazy Hare Design.
2.Three gun/rifle cabinet
If you have just one or two guns and you’re looking for something small and secure, then the Ultimate Safe® 3 Shotgun Gun Safe Cabinet would fit the brief (and a narrow space too). At the time of writing you can pick one up on Amazon for £79.99 plus £19.99 delivery.
- Fitted with two unique Triple Blade Lock®
- Height – 130cm, width – 24.5cm, depth 20.5cm (8″). Weight: 29Kg
- Suitable for up to 3 shot guns or 3 rifles. Made of 2.5mm steel
- 2 keys for each lock supplied, anti crowbar, bar or chisel door system
- 4 pre drilled holes in the back and base for securing into wall or floor, fixing bolts included
- Built to British Standard BS7558/92
1. Do you need to heat your gun cabinets in winter? If the temperature is plummeting outside will your guns…
On Sunday August 10 1997 a police officer called at the house of Mr Mark Farrer. He wanted to inspect his firearms security. Mr…
3.Need a large cabinet?
If you’ve a big collection of shotguns and/or rifles, or looking to grow your collection, then you’ll want a gun cabinet with a greater capacity. The Lokaway LOKDD Double Gun Safe holds between 12-19 guns and is certainly substantial. It has a separate lockable ammunition storage area too. Available from McAvoy Guns £635.
- Double door – store up to 19 guns collectively
- Right side capacity – 10-12 guns
- Left side capacity – 5-7 guns
- Interchangeable key lock
- Carpet lined
- 4 mounting bolts for installation
- Built to British Standard
4.Disguised as furniture
If you’d like your gun cabinet to blend into your surroundings, consider this clever gun cabinet which would do double duty in a cloakroom for coat storage. The company has several other designs too, all of which resemble furniture rather than a gun safe, although they all exceed police standards. From the Bespoke Gun Cabinet Company, from around £2000
- Built to British Standard, BS7558/92
- Height – 194cm, Width – 108cm, Depth 62cm.
- Incorporates metal 15 gun cabinet into a seat
- Ammunition safe as optional extra to replace baskets
- Available in cherry, walnut, oak, mahogany and other woods on request
If you’d like to stand back and admire your collection of walnut stocks and engravings from time to time, then the Lancaster gun cabinet shown here might suit you. It also comes with an optional blind to hide guns from view when necessary. Available from the Bespoke Gun Cabinet Company, from £8.995
- 16 gun capacity
- Police-approved 28mm triple laminated bandit proof glass
- Interior of safe lined with Cherry
- Lockable ammunition drawers
- Built to British Standard, BS7558/92
- Height – 214cm, Width – 114cm, Depth 57cm
- Pull out leather lined gun cleaning shelf
- Internal lighting
And if you’re worried about having your gun cabinet keys stolen?
Keys are among the most commonly stolen items and you need to ensure that your gun cabinet keys don’t fall into the wrong hands. You might sleep better at night if you have a safe installed for keys, like the Vecta personal safe which fits securely to any solid wall, has police accreditation and opens with a personal 4-digit security code. £129 from Amazon.
Inventor John Fearnall comments: “My keys were hanging in a kitchen cupboard for anyone to find and I had this nightmare vision of my shotguns and car in Lock Stock-style gangster scenes,” says John. “It was then that the idea of a high security, easy-to-use safe came to me.”
6.Biometric technology safe
You can also do away with keys altogether, with the new biometric technology out there.
The Stack-On SHD-SU-BG-B, 3 Gun safe from Shooting Safe costs £350 with delivery and has a biometric lock which scans your individual fingerprint, with a key override if required.
- External Dimensions Width 12″ x Depth 11″ x Height 55″
- Fully Carpeted Interior with Removable Shelf
- Moulded barrel rests
- Three Year warranty