Initially specialising in engraving, George Edward Lewis was first registered as a gun, rifle and pistol maker in 1859, with premises on Loveday Street, Birmingham, where the business would remain for well over 100 years.
Lewis was best known for his trademark shotgun known as ‘The Gun of the Period’, which was available in hammer and hammerless forms.
He earned several gold medals with his guns at the lavish exhibitions of the period, including at Birmingham and Calcutta in 1886 and Paris in 1878.
The firm built guns right up until its closure and sale in 2003.
The lucky bidder was able to purchase full legal entitlement to the company, along with extensive detailed documents from across the firm’s history.
Amongst the many ledgers, Holt’s found ledgers containing patter plate and zeroing details for thousands of G.E. Lewis gun.
This remarkable piece of Britain’s industrial and sporting history sold for £12,000.
Holt’s next sale will take place on March 25, and included amonst the lots are two pairs of guns that once belonged to the 7th Earl of Lucan.
For more information visit: www.holtsauctioneers.com.