A 22-year-old man has died after an accidental firearms discharge on 7 May, making it the second fatality within the shooting community within a month.

According to local papers, the man has been named as Adam Hepburn.

Reportedly, Mr Hepburn was in a 4×4 vehicle outside his family?s farmhouse in the Borders when a rifle went off as it was being handed over.

The bullet passed through Mr Hepburn?s thigh, severing the femoral artery.

Mr Hepburn was driven to Hawick Cottage Hospital, but because it does not have an accident and emergency department, the Scottish Ambulance Service was called and Mr Hepburn was transferred to Borders General Hospital.

He died the next morning.

The police told Shooting Times that enquiries were still ongoing, but that the incident was being treated as accidental.

According to local reports, Mr Hepburn was out shooting rabbits, but it is not yet known whether his party was lamping.

This recent accident follows that of Carl Conrad Rubisch, from Lichfield, in Staffordshire, whose gun accidentally discharged and killed him on Friday 5 April.

Mr Rubisch was lamping when his .22 rifle went off, killing the 30-year-old instantly.

His wife told local newspaper Lichfield People that Mr Rubisch took pride in being safe.

?He loved shooting, but he wouldn?t have done it if he couldn?t do it well,? she said. ?For Carl, it was everything about shooting ? being outside, seeing the countryside, the birds and farming techniques.?

The two fatalities, both men who were experienced Shots, serves as a stark reminder to the shooting community that there is no room for complacency and that accidents can happen.

A BASC spokesman told Shooting Times: ?Safe shooting is no accident and accidents, thankfully, are rare. To see two fatal shooting accidents within a few weeks is extraordinary. These tragic events are a sharp reminder that we cannot afford to drop our concentration on safety for a moment when we are using and handling firearms.?

Say what you think in the Shooting UK forums!

Safety reminder after second fatal shooting accident in a month