Based on a Chinese takeaway favourite, this dish is a great way to use up duck (or goose) breasts. Serves two.
This crispy chilli duck recipe is great for using up the breasts from the duck or goose that you waited for in the dwindling light of September or October. It is also good as a step away from the roast, perhaps for some friends who don’t often eat wild food.
It is based on the popular Chinese meal of crispy chilli beef and, like many Chinese meals, the bulk of the time is in the preparation, so the drama of pulling it all together in the wok makes it fun to stand around and enjoy a glass and chat, too.
Ingredients for crispy chilli duck recipe
• 4 tbsp cornflour
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 egg yolks
• 600ml oil for deep-frying (ground nut or rapeseed)
• 150ml stock (game if you have any, or stock cube)
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sugar (add more if sweeter sauce desired)
• 1 tbsp malt vinegar
• 2 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 2 tbsp water
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 500g breast meat, cut into thin strips approximately 4cm x 1cm • 3 tbsp oil (see above)
• 2 fresh bird’s eye chillies or more depending on your heat threshold or strength of chilli
• 4cm ginger, grated on microplane
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 6 green spring onions and a red or yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
• Sesame oil (optional)
1. Combine the cornflour, soy sauce and egg yolks in a bowl that will also hold the strips of meat.
2. Add meat strips and with your hands mix thoroughly until it is all coated with the marinade. It may clump together at first
3. Heat the oil in a wok or other deep pan. The oil is hot enough if it sizzles immediately when a piece of meat is put in. Fry the duck in 3 batches, separating the strips as it fries. They will only take 1½ to 2 minutes and are done when the outside coating is crispy and brown.
4. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm until all duck is fried.
5. Pour away the oil from the wok into a container to cool and deal with later. Wipe out the wok and place on to high heat.
6. Add 1 tbsp of oil and stir-fry the ginger, chillies and garlic.
7. Add the pepper, spring onions and pre-fried duck.
8. Add the sauce ingredients, ensuring cornflour is mixed thoroughly in it.
9. Continue to stir-fry as the sauce thickens.
10. Serve your crispy chilli duck with rice or noodles.