Here's a recipe to enjoy the partridge of the new season. It's easy to make, takes 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook. Serves four.
4 partridge, ready prepared
butter or olive oil
4 rashers bacon
4 slices French bread
50g-75g paté (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Spread butter or olive oil over the bird, season with salt and pepper and, allowing one rasher of bacon per bird, cut into four and place on the breast and legs. (If necessary stretch the bacon with the back of a knife). Using one lime, squeeze a little juice over each bird.
- Put in a roasting tin and cook for about 30 minutes. Check the birds are cooked by inserting a skewer into the breast. They are ready when the juices run clear.
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking, dip the bread into the hot oil next to the partridge and roast together with wedges of lime.
- Spread a little paté on each piece of bread and place the partridge on top.
- This goes deliciously with roast or mash potatoes, a rocket salad and redcurrant or cranberry jelly on the side.
This recipe is courtesy of Game to Eat, who promote game as a fresh and healthy alternative to chicken, lamb, beef or pork.