Sometimes when you're busy you just need a straightfoward recipe that won't cause lots of washing up afterwards. Here are two one-pot recipes for pheasant and they're both delicious. Both serve four people
One pot pheasant with root vegetables
- 4 pheasant breasts
- 100g cooked potatoes
- 50g diced carrot
- 50g diced swede
- 50g diced butternut squash
- 50g diced celery
- 10g fresh thyme
- 500ml game stock
- Cornish sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Heat the oven to 160ºC
- Season and sear the pheasant breasts then set aside.
- Place the vegetables into a thick-bottomed casserole dish.
- Place the pheasant breasts and thyme on top of the vegetables.
- Pour over the game stock.
- Place the lid on top and cook for two hours in a pre-heated oven at 160ºC.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest before serving.
In season from now until February 1 (you already know that), pheasant is the perfect alternative to the all too…
Pies are such a good invention. They are perfect comfort food on a dark winter evening. They are also superbly…
Reader and keen Shot Dominic Russell had a problem. His wife said she wasn’t a fan of game. Refusing to…
This is an extremely rural dish. Old-fashioned cooking that gets the taste buds into gear
- pheasant breasts (one per person)
- smoked bacon
- fresh rosemary
- 1oz plain flour
- ½ pint of milk
- salt and pepper
- White sauce (you will find a recipe below )
1. Preheat the oven to180°C. Using some butter, wipe and grease your cooking dish
2. Roughly slice the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and place in the bottom of the dish.
3. Sit your pheasant breasts on top and season. Cover with a few slices of bacon and a sprig
4. In a saucepan, make a white sauce by melting 1oz butter, adding the flour and cold milk (see video above).
5. Bring gently to the boil, whisking the mixture continuously until it becomes a thick sauce and turn down the heat.
6. Add a glug of sherry.
7. Pour the sauce over the pheasant breasts and cook uncovered in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for
8. Serve with a thick hunk of bread.
If you can’t get fresh rosemary then use dried. Use any type of sherry. Use an onion if you cannot find shallots and serve hot from the dish with the sauce bubbling.