If you are a fan of Italian food and rich red wine this pasta with mushroom and pigeon recipe is for you
This pasta and pigeon recipe will feed two people. Generally two pigeon breasts will feed one person, but sometimes you need three per person for a hearty main course meal.
- 4 to 6 pigeon breasts
- Butter; Flour
- Punnet of dark gilled mushrooms
- Packet of dried ceps, soaked in water
- Mug of chicken / game / beef stock
- Slug of red wine
- Bunch of parsley, chopped
- Long, thick egg pasta such as tagliatelle
- Heat a large knob of butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Coat the pigeon breasts in flour and pan fry. Remove when the outsides are browning. Stand for two minutes.
- Chop and fry the mushrooms in the butter remaining from the pigeon. Add the soaked and squeezed ceps.
- Pour in a mugful of dark brown stock and a slug of red wine or whatever?s handy and reduce down until the mushrooms are bubbling in a dark liquid. For additional luxury, take off the heat and stir in a tablespoon of double cream.
- Meanwhile, slice up the pigeon and add to the pan.
- Leave bubbling gently while you cook the pasta.
- When the pasta is al dente throw the parsley and a dash of lemon juice into the pigeon and mushroom mixture. Serve with the pasta.