Mark Gough prepares a meal that can be rustled up in minutes, with ingredients sourced from the woods. Serves two or one very hungry person.
Ingredients for this pigeon recipe:
- 2 pigeon breasts
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 10 leaves wild garlic
- Handful curly kale
- Handful wild mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the pigeon:
- Lie the bird on its back and pluck the breast, gently removing the feathers so that you don’t rip the skin.
- Slice down the breastbone and gently ease the flesh off as you cut towards the wing.
- Wipe the breasts clean and set aside.
- Gather the ingredients – Mark used chanterelle mushrooms
- Fry the mushrooms while you grill the bacon.
- At the same time season the breasts with salt and pepper and pan-fry in a warm pan for two minutes on each side, then leave to rest.
- Add the wild garlic to the mushrooms and allow to wilt.Place the kale in a pan, add a small amount of boiling water and steam for two minutes.
- Place the kale on a plate along with the mushrooms, garlic and bacon and place the breasts on top – absolutely delicious!