If you're looking for healthy eating and fresh flavours like citrus and chilli, then this recipe from Rose Prince is just perfect
I have recently discovered a new ingredient, pul biber, which has the perfect balance of chilli and spice. Originating in Turkey, along with the kebab, it has a fruity, rich perfume and makes an ideal seasoning for venison. Also known as Aleppo pepper or piment d’Alept, it is available from supermarkets and specialist shops.
This grilled venison on skewers recipe does require the meat to be marinated for up to 3 hours.
Marinated grilled venison on skewers, with date chutney and green wheat and parsley salad
- 2 red onions, cut into 16 segments
- 1kg lean venison, cut into 2cm cubes
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 3 tsp ground pul biber (Turkish pepper flakes)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Rosemary sprigs
For the date chutney:
- 250g pitted medjool dates, finely chopped
- 100ml tamarind paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100ml water
- 50ml wine vinegar
- 50g granulated sugar
For the green wheat salad:
- 200g freekeh (cracked dried green wheat)
- ½ cucumber
- 100g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g fresh dill, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Here’s a venison pie recipe from Neil Molyneux, the head chef at the Museum Inn, Farnham, Dorset who used venison…
Recipe for venison chilli con carne Ingredients 4 tbsp duck fat or beef dripping 2 onions, thinly sliced 6 cloves…
Ingredients 600g coarsely minced venison 1 red onion, finely chopped 1tsp chopped thyme Sea salt Ground black pepper 1 parsnip…
- First, marinate the venison. Into a non-corrosive container or bowl put the onion segments, cubes of meat, garlic cloves (peeled), pul biber, lemon juice, oil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Leave to marinate for at least 45 minutes, up to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chutney. Put all the ingredients into a small pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes until you have a puree that will coat the back of a spoon well. Transfer to a jar or container and store in the fridge until needed.
- To cook the freekeh, pour approximately 700ml boiling water into a saucepan. Place over the heat and bring to a full boil. Add the freekeh and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the cracked wheat grains have softened. Drain, rinse under the tap briefly with cold water then allow to cool.
- Halve the cucumber, remove the seeds with a teaspoon then slice thinly. Add this to the cooled wheat with the parsley, dill, lemon juice, oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Thread the marinated meat, onion pieces and a garlic clove on to skewers — insert a rosemary sprig here and there. Heat a grill pan, but not too high because it is better to grill venison slowly. Grill on all sides; this should take about 15 minutes.
- Serve with the salad, some toasted flat breads and date chutney.