Wild venison is not only delicious but it’s seriously good for you, too. Here's a recipe from Taste of Game which shows you how to make a straightforward venison burger, served with root vegetable crisps and blue cheese. Serves four.
- 600g coarsely minced venison
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp chopped thyme
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 parsnip
- 2 carrots
- 1 celeriac
- 4 slices blue cheese
- 4 buns
- Seasonal salad
- To make the burgers, mix the mince, onion and thyme together, adding sea salt and ground black pepper to season. If you wish, fry a small piece of the mix and taste it to make sure that the seasoning is just right for you. Divide the burger mix into four patties and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.
- Finely slice the root vegetables and fry in vegetable oil until crisp. Drain, season with salt and set aside so that they remain crispy.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil and fry the burgers for four to five minutes on each side – longer if you like them well done.
- Place the burgers on a baking tray, add a thick slice of blue cheese and brown under the grill. Serve the cheeseburgers in a toasted bun with the root vegetable crisps, salad and mustard.
Taste of Game has many great game recipe ideas, news and information on where to buy game.