Two questions from concerned gun owners ...

Q: If I apply for a shotgun licence do the guns need to be kept at my home address? I currently live in a bedsit, so I know that would not be a possibility, but my girlfriend lives in a secure three bedroom semidetached house which is alarmed and would provide a secure environment.

The key would be kept hidden at my girlfriend’s but she would be unaware as to where it was kept. I spend a lot of my time with my girlfriend but due to circumstances beyond our control we are unable to live together.  I understand the law is extremely strict with gun licences so I am unsure as to where I stand in this situation. Please can you give me some advice?

A:  No, you don’t have to keep your guns at your home address and there are plenty of people who don’t.

What you must do is to apply to the police force responsible for the area in which you live, rather than that where the guns are kept. Whether the police will be happy with you keeping guns in a property where there is no resident certificate holder is another matter.

You certainly can’t leave the key there and should keep it elsewhere.  I suggest you apply and see what they say. The fee is only charged if a certificate is granted so there is no cost to you if it is refused.

Another option would be for your girlfriend to apply for a certificate which would have your guns on it as well as them being on your own. You don’t need to be an active shooter in order to have a certificate.

Either way it is the job of the police to make it as easy as possible for you to get a certificate and they should be able to come to some arrangement that will enable you to do so.

You don’t say why you can’t keep your gun in the bedsit and I wouldn’t rule that out as a possibility unless the tenancy agreement specifically forbids it. Talk to the landlord.

  1. 1. Introduction
  2. 2. Is the firearms officer right?
  3. 3.
Page 1 of 2 - Show Full List