What's best for a young Gun to learn with. A .410 or a 28-bore?
Which is the best first gun?
My son, who is 12, is keen to start shooting and I am considering buying a light side-by-side .410. However, one of my shooting friends thinks a 28-bore might be more suitable. Which of the two is the best first gun?
Many experienced shooters started with a .410. In skilled hands it is an effective calibre, but the average shooter is unlikely to be able to kill birds with it at normal ranges, and a beginner will really struggle with it.
A 28-bore, however, will throw 60 per cent more shot and produce a pattern that is much more likely to achieve success. That in turn will give your son encouragement to progress in his shooting career. There are many more relatively inexpensive 28-bores available on the market than was once the case, and a well-fitting 28-bore produces minimal recoil. For a beginner requiring a small-bore shotgun, I would certainly recommend it in preference to a .410.
Advice to remember
- A lot depends on the stature of the child
- Learning to shoot with a .410 can spoil a youngster’s enthusiasm
- Minimum to start on would be a 28-bore, moving onto a 20 or even a 12-bore as soon as the weight can be handled
- Use the lightest loads available for the gun’s bore size
- Make sure the young Gun has some success for encouragement
- Follow these suggestions and you should have a lifelong devotee
- Consider buying a good second-hand gun as a first gun. Here is our advice on buying a small-bore gun second-hand.
- The Beretta Silver Pigeon is always a popular first gun
- Make sure the youngster is fitted correctly for the gun
- Buy the gun from a gunshop and you will receive sound advice
- Think about what the gun will be used for. A bit of vermin control around the farm? Or does the young Gun want to shoot at clays, game or pigeon over decoys?
I’m proud to say that my first gun was a Baikal. People may smirk but it carries a weight of…
A: Mike says: It depends on the sort of shooting your son is going to be doing. If his first gun is just…