Try homemade burgers and you'll never want to eat any other type again
Burgers of every sort are going to be celebrated on 27th August and so we’ve created a list of our favourite game recipes for National Burger Day in 2021.
As fieldsports fans know, you can create burgers with venison, pheasant, partridge and pigeon. Burgers are far more versatile than they’re given credit for, and go a long way beyond being made with beef or chicken.
As shooters we should all eat what we shoot and these homemade burger recipes are an easy way to do that. Try them on people who say they don’t like game and they’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Tips on making a homemade burger
- Always return your newly shaped burgers to the fridge to chill before cooking them. This will keep the fat firm and they will taste better.
- Burgers are good for using meat that has been peppered with shot, as you’ll be chopping it into small pieces anyway
- Always leave the burgers in the warm pan to rest for a few minutes before serving
- A food processor makes mincing the meat a job of seconds
- Wild duck breasts also make wonderful burgers
- Use the lid from a jar (a peanut butter jar size is about right) to help you shape the burgers.
- Before cooking the burgers make an indent in the top with your thumb. This will make the juices pool in the burger and be reabsorbed, instead of running away down the side into the grill.
- You don’t have to serve burgers in a bun – if you’re cutting down on carbs they are perfect on a bed of salad. Or you can serve them with a jacket potato.
- Burgers can be cooked on a hot barbecue, under the grill or in a large non-stick frying pan. Preheat the frying pan or grill before putting the burgers on
Venison is perfect for gourmet burgers – these are delicious served on a brioche bun.
Another way with pigeon breasts
Jose Souto gives rabbit a new twist – you could cook this one on a barbecue.
Our sister magazine The Field shows you how to use up any frozen pheasant you may have and turn them into delicious barbecue fare. (You can read tips on freezing game here.)
Rose Prince serves up a burger with a silky texture and mouthwatering flavour.