Perfect for shoot lunches and mid-morning snacks. Serves two (so increase quantities as needed)
A take on a sausage roll, this recipe uses pheasant and pastry, which soaks up the hot garlic butter.
Pheasant and pastry rolls recipe
- Packet of puff pastry .
- Half a skinned pheasant breast
- Two cloves garlic
- 1 oz butter
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Milk (to brush on top of pastry)
- Plain flour
View this post on Instagram
- Turn the oven on to 200°C (190°C for fan ovens). Make sure the oven shelf is in the middle
- Take your packet of puff pastry from the fridge and, leaving it sealed, allow it to come to room temperature (15 minutes)
- Place the pheasant breast between some cling film and gently tap it flat and as thin as possible with a rolling pin. Leave it in the cling film and put it to one side
- Crush your garlic and leave to one side
- Chop the parsley finely and leave to one side
- Flour the work surface
- Cut the pastry into half. Roll out one piece on the well-floured surface to create a square-ish shape.
- Take the pheasant, put on a chopping board and cut the thin, flat breast in half, leaving the other half on the cling film to make another pastry roll. Place the pheasant in the middle of the rolled out pastry, sprinkle over it half the chopped garlic, half the butter and half the chopped parsley. Season well.
- Take a knife and cut the pastry into a rough square shape and then fold the diagonal corners in together. Place on a baking tray and brush with some milk (to help it to brown). Repeat as necessary, using the other half of the pheasant. Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the pastry has browned. Serve warm with some parsley sprinkled over the top.
Reader and keen Shot Dominic Russell had a problem. His wife said she wasn’t a fan of game. Refusing to…
Rose Prince writes: Pheasant meat has a truly interesting flavour, with notes of its foraged diet and corn, which, when…
If you like a lot of garlic butter, use more. This would be delicious served with a simple salad.