The home of Shooting Times and Sporting Gun

Sporting Answer: Visitor’s permit

Q) I have a friend who lives in Spain, but who keeps his gun with me and shoots in Britain two or three times a season. In the past, I have had to get a Visitor’s Permit for him each time he visited. Is there any form of licence to cover him for the entire season? T. GOULDING Somerset

A) A Visitor’s Permit has a maximum duration of 12 months, but usual police practice is to make it valid only for the period in which the visitor is in Britain. However, if he is making repeated visits, make this clear to your local firearms licensing department, giving them the dates of your friend’s proposed shooting trips through the season. They should then be able to make the Visitor’s Permit valid from the start of his first visit to the end of his last one.

Other Sporting Answers by Graham Downing:

Airline ammunition

Rabbits: Tumour abnormalities

Legal age for firearms