12 questions about spaniels answered
We're always getting queries about spaniels in our postbag. Here our gundog experts give answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this popular gundog.
- How can I improve my spaniel’s picking up skills? The gundogs in question are 10-month-old litter brothers – one is a good hunter, the other bad at retrieving. What can be done about it?
- Shouldn’t working spaniels have docked tails? A reader is worried about two young spaniels with tails that are getting damaged …
- Which breed of spaniel should I buy? Springer, cocker, Clumber or Brittany … what’s best?
- Will deafness end my gundog’s working life? After an infection, an eight-year-old spaniel is now totally deaf. What’s to be done about it?
- Is it irresponsible of me to work a springer without a docked tail? Once again, the question of tail docking arises …
- Can you solve bad breath in spaniels? Might be time for your dog to visit a canine dental hygienist ?..
- What are the differences between cockers and springers? A reader is torn between getting a cocker and a springer and asks for some advice …
- How can I stop my springer spaniel from whining? Did you know that whining can be catching?
- Which is the best of the working spaniel breeds? Is there one that particularly stands out?
- Will my young spaniel learn from my old gundog? Can an old dog teach a youngster some new tricks?
- Is it time for a super spaniel breed? A new strain that includes all the strengths of the different spaniel types?
- Why are spaniels taught drop to shot? And why aren’t Labradors?