Game-themed takeaways, virtual game cookery sessions and places to buy game online: Great British Game Week 23-29 November
As shooters we should all eat what we shoot and encourage others to try game meat.
Great British Game Week celebrates all that is great about game meat and this year, because of the COVID restrictions, there are many more virtual ways to get involved. Here’s how.
Learn to cook a game curry (with all the ingredients supplied)
The Cook School is holding a Virtual Curry Evening on 26th November. Tickets for the virtual event cost £50.00, for which you will receive a box of ingredients to create a hot & sour mallard duck salad with toasted peanuts & crispy shallots as a starter followed by Thai red pheasant curry, jasmine rice & coconut as main course and finished with chilled kaffir lime leaf rice pudding, poached pear & cardamom for two. Included in the price is a link to a live cooking evening on Zoom to cook your curry along with The Cook School Head Chef Stuart.
Other game cookery ideas
You can also head to your local supermarkets, such as Sainsbury’s and Co-op, to buy British Game Alliance (BGA) assured game and support Great British Game Week using any of the recipes you can find at the EatWild website.
If you’re short of game in your freezer for cooking game recipes, then here are a few places you can buy British Game Alliance (BGA) assured products online.
You can buy a game box which includes mallard, snipe, pheasant and grouse from The Store, run by BGA stockists The Gladwin Brothers. Either have it delivered or collect it if you live in the Battersea area of London.
The Meat Box Company delivers best quality game meat nationwide and works closely with the BGA, National Trust and Forestry Commission.
If you’re looking for venison, then South Wild Venison is one of a growing number of venison suppliers around the country.
Game themed takeaway options around the country
- The George Inn, Vernham Dean – Hampshire, is offering a game-themed takeaway for the duration of Great British Game Week. Available from Thursday – Sunday (5:00 – 8:45PM), call in advance to order: 01264 737279.
- The Duncombe Arms near Ashbourne, Derbyshire are offering a special steamed game suet pudding with braised cabbage and buttery mash.
- Kahani in London’s Chelsea are offering a special venison keema served with a truffle naan.
- The Kings Arms in Egham, Surrey and sister pub The Cricketers on the Green in Pirbright, Surrey are offering special game dishes including; pheasant rabbit pigeon and venison game faggot plus eight hour braised venison ragout slow cooked in red wine.
- Order a game terrine with pickled walnuts and sticky sloe onions and/or a game consommé with a chicken liver and fig club sandwich from London restaurants Elystan Street in Chelsea, Church Road in Barnes and Kitchen W8 in Kensington.
- If you fancy a roast grouse, then it’s on the takeaway menu at The Game Bird restaurant at The Stafford Hotel.
- Or grouse and foie gras pie which is on the menu at 45 Jermyn Street, London.
A few weeks away a different type of game week. We will be engaging with some amazing chefs to showcase the best of game plus delicious gamey takeaway dishes from The George & a cook along so even if we can’t celebrate in our usual style we will be bringing game into the home. pic.twitter.com/M6qaqS8NDe
— Eat Wild (@LetsEatWild) November 14, 2020
Cook live with Instagram influencers
You could learn some new cooking skills and ways with game and have the chance to win a Laksen Sporting Vest by visiting the @britishgamealliance Instagram during British Game Week. Foodie influencers will be sharing tips and ideas online throughout the week.