Slow cooked venison casserole
This venison casserole couldn't be simpler, just chuck the ingredients in a dish and cook slowly for four hours
Slow cooking venison is always popular as the meat develops an earthy sweetness and is deliciously tender. This recipe couldn’t be easier; just sear the meat, soften the veg and then cook slowly for four hours.
- 400g diced venison
- 100g diced onion and carrot
- 100g diced celery and leek
- 200g diced swede and parsnip
- 50g diced butternut squash
- 10g chopped garlic
- 5g chopped fresh thyme
- One litre of game or chicken stock
- 200ml red wine
- Cornish sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Sear the venison in a hot casserole dish.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, leek, swede, parsnip and squash and soften for five minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, seasoning and red wine.
- Remove from the heat and pour in the stock.
- Place on the lid and cook slowly for four hours at 160°C.
- Remove from the oven and check the seasoning.
- Serve with creamy mash or crusty bread – or both!